How (and Why) Seminole Clubs Form
Successful Seminole Clubs are usually founded in certain geographic areas with higher concentrations of alumni and friends of Florida State. Ordinarily, a group considers forming a Club as a means to strengthen ties with the University. Soon afterwards, a wish to "do something" takes hold of this newly formed Seminole community.
A Seminole Club serves as a vehicle to unite the alumni and friends of FSU in an organized effort. It provides an opportunity for increased participation in the life of the University, and allows for association with other Florida State graduates, students, former students, and University friends in the same community. A Seminole Club also promotes the University through special events and community service, and assists the University in achieving its goals through friend- and fund-raising. In a sense, the local Club is the University in a specific location. A Seminole Club can and should be a strong benefactor for FSU through worthwhile projects, such as scholarships and recognition awards.
A Seminole Club should foster a continued bond of collegiate fellowship, thus supporting ties with Florida State that do not end with graduation. In truth, graduation is an entrance into the Seminole Club Network, one of the best ways to continue your connection to Florida State University.
The History of the Seminole Club Network
Alumni records first show that discussion of the possibility of forming alumnae clubs for alumnae of Florida State College for Women took place in June of 1917. However, the motion to form these area alumnae clubs did not occur until June 2, 1920. The local organizations were immediately formed in Florida from Key West to Jacksonville and Pensacola, eighteen in number and were called Flastacowo (abbreviation for Florida State College for Women) Clubs.
When the Florida State College for Women became Florida State University in May 1947, and men were admitted, clubs changed their names to Florida State Alumni Clubs. With the coming of men's intercollegiate athletics in the late '40's, and the organization of Seminole Boosters, Inc. in the early '50's, Booster Clubs were organized. Some of the existing Alumni Clubs changed to become Booster Clubs, and others changed to include support of the new university's athletics program, particularly football.
In the late '70's, Charlie Barnes, Executive Director of Seminole Boosters, Inc. and head football coach Bobby Bowden began the Bowden Tour. Many area clubs, particularly those in Florida accepted the charge by increasing their giving levels in support of Seminole football.
In 1992, under the leadership of then Vice President of University Relations Dr. Jim Pitts, it was determined that clubs would delete the name "Booster" or "Alumni" and call themselves Seminole Clubs. As seen in the Seminole Club Handbook, a Florida State University Seminole Club is a true representative of the university in a certain geographic area, and represents all interests of the University.
With the new millennium and the rise of the internet and satellite television, Seminole Clubs had to change with the times. So to did the university, and so in 2011 a new club structure was unveiled: Operation CLUB. CLUB is an acronym for Committing to Lead, Uniting Behind…and the Operation CLUB initiative is a 5 year plan that started July 1st, 2011. The plan calls for a much stronger commitment from the university in leading its Seminole Clubs, with the Seminole Clubs uniting behind the effort for the advancement of the university. The primary change in the club structure is that local Seminole Clubs will no longer charge “local” club dues, and instead will be directly supported by the university.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Flickr.
Learn more about the Florida State University Direct Support Organizations: