History of the James D. Westcott Legacy Society
Florida State University created the James D. Westcott Legacy Society in honor and memory of James D. Westcott, whose 1887 estate gift funded Florida State University’s first major endowment.
Upon his death, Judge Westcott bequeathed the bulk of his estate, valued at approximately $100,000 in 1936, in trust for the benefit of the West Florida Seminary. Included in the Westcott estate was a section of Tallahassee's principal business property located on the northeast corner of Monroe Street and College Avenue as well as a residence on East College Avenue. With this legacy, James D. Westcott became the first donor and benefactor of the institution now known as Florida State University. In 1911, FSU President Edward Conradi announced that the campus Administration Building would be called the "James D. Westcott Memorial Building."
Membership in the Westcott Legacy Society is offered to all alumni and friends who have designated contributions to academic programs at Florida State University in their estate plans. There are many ways to make such a contribution, and in some instances, it is possible for the donor to earn a fixed income for life while also making a significant gift to Florida State. Examples include the charitable bequest, the charitable gift annuity, the charitable remainder trust and the retained life estate. The Westcott Legacy Society is a tribute to the visionary James D. Westcott and to all generations of Florida State University benefactors who embrace his vision and who share his high ideals.